The Organization Of The Church
1. The Lord only organized one church as was His plan all along.
* Eph. 3:10-11
* Christ’s coming prophesied hundreds of years before His coming (Isa. 2, Dan. 2, Micah 4)
* John the Baptizer (Mt. 3:2).
* Churches of Christ reproductions of one we find in Acts 2.
* Church organized by God, not men.
*Denominationalism Satan’s best tool!
2. Where’s the church’s “home office?”
* Heaven - Phil. 3:20, Eph. 1:22-23.
3. Elders oversee local congregations (Acts 14:23).
* These men are also called: bishops (or episkopos - I Timothy 3:1-2), pastors (or poimen – Ephesians 4:11), overseers
(also episkopos – Acts 20:28), and presbyters (from presbuteros – I Timothy 4:14).
* Qualifications – I Tim. 3:1-8; Titus 1:5-9.
4. Deacons perform physical tasks for the church (Acts 6:3).
* Qualifications – I Tim. 3:8-13. VERY FEW QUALIFICATIONS FOR ELDERS AND DEACONS THAT DON’T
APPLY TO ALL CHRISTIANS!
* Must first be proved, then appointed as deacon.
5. Evangelists preach & teach (II Tim. 4:2).
* Must study and preach (I Tim. 4:13).
* I Tim. 4:6 – Good preacher must know the truth, follow the truth, and teach the truth.
6. Members also have duties (I Cor. 12).
* All can do something! If we can’t preach, teach, lead prayer or songs, we can make calls, send letters, etc. We all can
pray (Jas. 5:16).
* We need more Isaiah’s in the church! “Here am I, send me!” (Isa. 6:8).
7. Terms of entrance:
* Hear the Word (Rom. 10:17), Believe it (Acts 8:37), Repent (Luke 13:3), Confess (Rom. 10:10), Be baptized (Rom.
6:3-4), remain faithful (Rev. 2:10).
R.W. McAlister 10/28/08 p.m.