The Bible Doctrine of Eternal Punishment
(II Thess. 1:3-9)
* Tartarus part of Hadean realm (torment). Gehenna is eternal place of torment for condemned post-Judgment.
* 2 misconceptions about Hell: 1) Doesn’t exist (false idea). 2) Those sentenced there won’t stay for eternity.
* Gen. 1:26-27: Man made in image of God. He’s just more than temporal creature. Eternity awaits.
* Skeptics repudiate eternal punishment.
- Einstein –
- Bertrand Russell –
* Materialism – One theory is that man is totally mortal – no immortal soul. Thus, no eternal punishment.
* Some religious folk repudiate everlasting Hell.
- Jehovah’s Witness – Claim Hell is a place of _____________________ & ___________________ (see Mt. 5:22).
- Seventh Day Adventists – Claim annihilation after period of punishment.
* Lord’s church has had false teachers on this subject:
- 1844, John Thomas, “Christadelphians” –
- 1846, Jesse B. Ferguson –
- 1982, Edward Fudge, “The Fire That Consumes” –
- 1988, April – F. LaGard Smith –
1. Bible teaching on eternal punishment crystal clear!
* Bible’s teaching on the soul: Immortal (Mt. 10:28), Incorruptible (I Pet. 3:4), John saw souls of dead (Rev. 6:9-11)
* Faithful survive death of the body. What about unfaithful?
- Psalmist described Sheol as place of pain; trouble & sorrow (Psalm 116:3).
- Jonah – Said his time in fish’s belly like being in Sheol.
- Daniel said condemned are raised to state of shame & everlasting torment.
- Jesus said unprepared dead will suffer eternal punishment (Mt. 25:46).
- Paul – II Thess 1:9: Those who obey not the _______________ ______ _________________ will suffer eternally.
- Rev. 14:10-11 –
2. Bible’s description of Hell.
* Matt. 25:41 – Worm dies not, ________________________________________________________________.
* Mark 9:48 –
* Matt. 25:30 – Place of outer ______________________ where there’s ________________ & gnashing of teeth.
* Rev. 19:15 –
* Final resting place for sinners is Gehenna.
* “Valley of Hinnom”- place where children were offered to pagan god Molech (II Chron. 28:3; 33:6).
* Finally became garbage dump for Jerusalem where constant fire burned. Appropriate name for place of eternal
* Jesus spoke of Gehenna many times in Sermon On The Mount.
- Mt. 5:22 –
- Better to go through life maimed than end up in Gehenna – Mt. 5:29&30; ________________________.
- Mt. 10:28/Lk. 12:5 –
- Jewish leaders (Mt. 23:15) – Mt. 23:33 –
- Jas. 3:6 – the tongue is “set on fire of hell.” Meaning? –
3. Eternal punishment and a loving God?
* No one will be there who shouldn’t be! –
* Lord doesn’t want any to perish (II Peter 3:9) –
* When men choose path to Gehenna, God won’t force them to change (Acts 13:46).
* Because God is just, evil must be punished! (Hab. 1:13, Psa. 89:14; Rev. 16:5).
* God is both just and a justifier of those who obey (Rom. 3:24-26; Heb. 5:8-9).
* Even in hell, judgment will be fair! (Mt. 10:15; 11:20-24; Lk. 12:47-48; Heb. 10:29; Rev. 20:12-13).
* Jesus said more about Hell than Heaven! Heed His warnings and be saved today!
R.W. McAlister 8/23/09 p.m.