* The nation’s future often viewed positively or negatively.
* Regardless, victory will belong to the faithful (Rev. 5:6; 12:11).
* Let’s pray for a “Jonah” (Jonah 3:5ff).
* Righteousness exalts a nation (Prov. 14:34). ________________________ will destroy it.
* God can deal with corrupt nations (Gen. 15:16; 18:22ff).
* Nineveh (Jonah 3:4). (Nahum 1:9) -
1. Our spending is out of control!
* National debt over $12 trillion!
- Average person’s share $40,000!
* Individual Americans in debt way over their heads!
* Psalm 37:21 –
* Prov. 22:7 –
* Only Spiritual treasures are eternal (Matt. 6:19-21).
2. Our educational system is out of control!
* Many children leave school unable to read, write, or balance checkbook. Paddle absent from schools (see Pr. 13:24).
* Most schools don’t educate. How can people study the Bible if they can’t read? (II Tim. 2:15; Eph. 3:4).
- 80 million Americans are deficient in the basic reading and mathematical skills.
- National education system indoctrinates children into humanism & evolution. (Gen. 1:1).
- Many schools are now dangerous. Recall Heath, Columbine, etc.
* Some things are always right & others wrong (Isa. 5:20).
3. Our Judicial system is out of control!
* Even some liberal folks realize this. Book, The Collapse of Criminal Justice by Harold Rothwax, liberal judge.
* Isa. 59:4 –
- Case of Mary Winkler –
- Leonardo Turiago –
4. Our homes are out of control!
* Materialism is killing our homes! Mothers have abandoned home duties in pursuit of money (Titus 2:5).
* Children are needlessly left to play video games/watch T.V. w/o parental supervision. Often w/no supervision.
* Many deny that man shouldn’t alter God’s marriage plan. Sex outside of wedlock is sin/fornication (I Cor. 7:2).
* People can’t even blush about their illicit affairs anymore! (Jer. 6:15).
* Those who hold that adultery is only reason for innocent marriage partner to remarry are in minority! (Mt. 5:32; 19:9).
* Homosexuality is another marker of being out of control! (Rom. 1:26-27; Lev. 18:22).
* Remember Sodom & Gomorrah! (Gen. 19:24).
* The answer? Seek and walk in the old paths! (Jer. 6:16).
* The Christian’s responsibilities:
- Be the salt of the earth (Mt. 5:13).
- Teach morality from the Bible (II Tim. 4:2).
- Defend the truth/oppose Satan’s minions (Jude 3).
R.W. McAlister 8/16/09 a.m.