He That Soweth Discord Among Brethren – Notes/Study Sheet
1. Sowing and Reaping
* Gal. 6:7-8 – How we sow determines what/how we reap on Judgment Day.
* Hosea 7:8 – Sow wind/reap whirlwind.
* We reap the harvest of what we sow – much more than we sow.
* Sinners sow the wind but reap the tornado!
2. What is discord?
* Discord is strife or contention.
* Where do divisions (discord) come from? (Jas. 4:1)
- Lack of love (Prov. 10:12; I Cor. 13:4; Jas. 5:20; I Peter 4:8).
- Where there are idlers or busybodies (I Tim. 5:11-15)
- When people can’t control their anger (Prov. 15:18; I Tim. 1:4; Titus 3:9 Prov. 15:18; I Tim. 1:4; Titus 3:9).
- Division comes where ungodliness is present (Prov.16:27).
- Divisions come where there is envy (Mt. 27:18).
- Divisions come where there is selfishness and lust for power and prestige (Jas. 4:1; Gen 13:8).
- Divisions come when pride is dominant (Prov. 28:25; Phil. 2:3).
3. How are the seeds of discord sown?
* By preaching false doctrine (Jn. 17:17).
* By gossiping (also tattling, being busybody, tale bearing - Eph. 4:29; I Tim. 5:13; Prov. 26:20).
4. How do we handle those who sow discord?
* Let them know how harmful what they’re doing is (Mt. 18).
* Must not let little things become major! (Rom. 14:17). Someone unkind to you; upset you? Get over it!
* Love and pray for them (Matt. 5:44).
* If they won’t quit, mark and avoid them (Matt. 18:17; I Cor. 5:5-6).
- Prov. 22:24
R.W. McAlister 10/28/08 a.m.